Top Stories |
Check back often to see the latest news, meeting information and helpful notes from our leaders regarding the Covid-19 shut-down.
Post Canteen reopened - 2:00 PM on Thursday, July 23, 2020
After over 4 months, the Post is open! We have been closed since March 17 due to the virus. But we now
have the clearance to open on a limited basis. There will be a limit to the number of people and hours by order of the NC Governor. But we'd love to see you again! We have missed our members and friends.
Other Cancellations and rescheduled events
The following activities have been canceled or rescheduled effective March 18, 2020. Watch the updates on resuming or rescheduling dates.
- The Post and Auxiliary meetings are now being held on schedule. Auxiliary members can attend via phone or Skype if they wish. Contacat Secretary Helen Carter to arrange it.
- The Sons of the Legion meetings are on hold at this time.
- The State fall council meetings for the VFW and Auxiliary:
- VFW -
- Auxiliary - will be held via Zoom on Saturday, Oct 10 at 10:00 AM. Call in info to be provided
- VA Bingo sponsored by the VFW and American Legion was being held by the VA staff on our behalf. As of now, all patient activities have been moved to patient rooms
only to help prevent the possibility of spread of the virus. We are still prividing funds to support this, but there are no trips to the VA until further notice.
- Visits to the Garner area nursing homes are cancelled until further notice.
- The Wall That Heals vist to Garner which was scheduled for April 14-19, 2020 was canceled. We are hoping to reschedule it for some time in the future. All of their events since March whch were canceled, will be first ones on the list for rescheduling.
- Female Veterans Table Talk meetings which were scheduled since April were cancelled. The next quarterly meeting is expected to be in January. Watch for details at that time.
- The USO center at Raleigh Durham Airport is closed until further notice.
Early voting - October 15-31, 2020
North Carolina is in the midst of early voting. And if you live in NC, you can go to an early voting site anywhere in your County. So if your town early voting site it packed, try a different early voting site. Here is a link to the Wake County early voting sites and the times that they are opened.
Covid-19 Study at Durham VA System
The Durham VA is excited to announce that they are a host site for the Janssen phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine research study. Veterans, VA employees, and anyone else who you think might be interested could be eligible to participate!
Anyone who would like more information or is interested in participating can check out the following resource: www.va.gov/coronavirus-research This is a great resource for veterans especially and provides the opportunity to enroll in a database for multiple VA coronavirus research studies. Signing up for the volunteer list doesn’t mean you’re committing to join a research study. It just means you want to learn more. Please consider disseminating this link to your patients!
Access your VA Medical Center or doctor via the internet - ongoing
There are several options to obtain VA medical services or information using any computer, tablet, or mobile device with an internet connection:
- use VA Video Connect for real-time video access to your VA care team via the internet
- use MyHealtlyVet to send a message to your doctor via email
- For those without internet capability, you can receive daily text messages about Coronavirus from Annie, which is the VA’s automated text messaging app that sends health information and reminders to any cellphone with texting capabilities. Sign up here.
VA expands virtual services for other benefits - March 19, 2020
Veterans continue to receive other benefits and services after the VA's Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) temporarily closed its 56 regional offices to the public in response to COVID- 19.
Veterans with specific questions can call 1-800-827-1000 or go www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage for additional details. Veterans can continue to get information about benefits, file a claim online or can call for claim-specific questions.
USO campaign - ongoing
Our troops are facing military base restrictions, the shutdown of critical support programs, and even the isolation of quarantine due to the coronavirus outbreak. The USO has already spent $50,000 on protective equipment and sanitation supplies to help ensure our centers remain safe and open for service members, but their work can't stop there. Rush a gift now to provide much-needed support to our brave heroes such as phone calls home to reassure loved ones. Donate
VFW Southen Conference meeting canceled this year - Oct 29-Nov 1, 2020
It is North Carolina's turn to host the annual meeting of the 14 Southern states of the VFW and Auxiliary. But with the meeting for October cancelled, we will be hosting in in a future year.
We accept old worn flags - ongoing
Do you have an old worn flag that needs to be destroyed? If so, drop them by the VFW any day, and we will handle it for you. There is a box outside our door to drop them off, day or night. They will be shared with area Boy Scount troops to be destroyed in accordance with the US Flag Code.
Military Benefits - Ongoing
There are many military benefits that you may not know about. Check out a
list of some of them.
Vets and care givers keeping in touch with family - Ongoing
The VA Caregiver Support Program would like to introduce a new partnership with CaringBridge. It is a non-profit that allows people going through a health journey to create a free, secure and private website to keep family and friends updated on their health, treatment and recovery. CaringBridge has created a customized and dedicated landing page for Veterans, Service Members, and their Caregivers to connect with family and friends. The Caregiver Support Program and CaringBridge welcome those in need to create a website and experience the support of their loved ones.
Thanks to our many volunteers - Ongoing
Each month, many of our members work at the Post and in the community to support our veterans. To thank them all in each edition of the Post Newsletter, takes a lot of room - due to the number of people to thank. So we are now listing them here, with a big Thank You, so we don't miss anyone. Check out who we thanked this month.
Supporting our Military
View this inspiring presentation from the third graders of Tussing Elementary, Colonial Heights, Virginia. At the end of the song you can order the sheet music.
Did you know you can send packages overseas by contacting NCPacks4Patriots, a nonprofit organization formed with the mission to support troops and their family members by providing care and comfort items and expressions of appreciation for their service and sacrifices.
Our Post has several family members serving in the War on Terror. Also, the Post has adopted three Military units based from Garner, Cary and Knightdale US Army Reserve Centers.
Click here or on the yellow ribbon at the top of every page, to see how you can support our service personnel and their families.
A great video about why we do what we do to support our military.
They need us, and we need you!