Yellow ribbon VFW Post 10225 Teardrop
   Site Home  |       Our Facebook Page  |    VFW National Site  |    VFW Aux National Site  |    Site Map  |    Contact Us  |    Privacy Policy  





Facebook












History of the VFW

The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) of the United States traces it roots back to 1899. That year, Veterans of the Spanish-American War (1898) and the Philippine Insurrection (1898-1902) founded local organizations to secure rights and benefits for their service. In Columbus, Ohio they founded the American Veterans of Foreign Service. In Denver, Col., they organized the Colorado Society, Army of the Philippines. In 1901, Philippines Veterans in Altoona Supreme District Jr. Vice. 2000-02 and Pittsburgh, PA., started the Philippine War Veterans. The following year, Philadelphia, PA became the home of the American Veterans of the Philippine and China Wars. In 1905, these three groups merged with the American Veterans of Foreign Service.

In 1913, the American Veterans of Foreign Service was amalgamated with the Colorado Society, Army of the Philippines and became the Army of the Philippine-Cuba and Puerto Rico, then changed their name to the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States.

The Ladies Auxiliary to the VFW was founded in 1914 by women relatives of the Spanish-American War veterans. Early members saw their first responsibility as service to the veteran and his family. In an era when the government did little to assist its veterans, Auxiliary members ministered to the wounded in hospital and raised funds for needy veterans and their dependents.

At the 2015 National Convention, the VFW changed their Bylaws to change the Ladies Auxiliary to the Auxiliary, accepting male members into the organization. This doubles the potential of the organization, allowing more members to help supporting our veterans.

Read our Post history


Copyright(C) 2001 - 2018 All rights reserved
South Wake County Post 10225 - 1706 West Garner Road, Garner, NC 27529
Phone (919) 772-1062